Moving can be stressful. Taking the time to prepare will help you deal with any issue that might arise, and can help to make the day go smoothly. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Make plans. Plan ahead by hiring a mover well in advance of the actual date, and start packing early! The busiest time of year for movers is in the summer months. If you wait until the last minute, you may not find a reputable mover, or you may end up being charged more money.
- Get organized. Use a color-coding system for your moving boxes. For example, you can choose green for the kitchen, or blue for the bedroom. Color-coding makes it a simple process to figure out which box goes into which room when you get to your new destination.
- Line your boxes with plastic. Before packing your moving boxes, line them with simple plastic trash bags. In doing so, even if it rains or snows during the move, the things inside the box will have an added layer of protection.
- De-clutter the mover’s path. Make sure that everything is out of the way for your moving company. This means everything from flower pots to children’s toys.
- Keep towels ready to wipe down furniture. Furniture might be exposed to rain or snow for a few minutes. In most instances, wiping the furniture off as soon as it gets in the door can keep it from being damaged. You can also wrap expensive pieces of furniture in plastic to make sure that they are not damaged during the move.
- Cover your floors. If it’s raining or snowing outside, then protecting your floors is important. Broken-down cardboard boxes forming a trail from one room to another can help a lot. When you’re done, simply throw them out or take them to the recycling center.
- Take out moving insurance. This may be the most important moving tip of them all! Safeguard your move with moving insurance so that if something does go wrong, you are protected all the way around! Coverage is usually not expensive – check with your moving company and your own insurance company for quotes.
Your realtor can provide you with even more advice on how to make your move smooth!
Source: Real Estate Marketing Ideas